The past 50 years have been a time of unbelievable advancement in transplantation. See how the Alabama Organ Center has played a key role in this growth.
First kidney transplant performed in Alabama by Dr. Arnold G. Diethelm, Veteran’s Administration Medical Center, Birmingham
Alabama Organ Bank established, currently the Alabama Organ Center
First heart transplant performed in Alabama by Dr. Robert Karp, UAB Hospital
First bone procurement completed by Alabama Regional Organ Center
- - FDA approves Cyclosporine, the most successful anti-rejection medication developed to date
- - First liver transplant performed in Alabama, UAB Hospital
National Organ Transplant Act (NOTA) establishes nationwide computer registry operated by the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS); authorizes financial support for Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs); prohibits buying or selling of organs in the United States
Required Request Laws require hospitals to develop policies to identify patients as potential donors and approach families about organ donation
- - FDA approves Viaspan that greatly extends the preservation of donated livers
- - 2,000th kidney transplant performed in Alabama
- - First pancreas transplant in Alabama, UAB Hospital
- - First heart/lung transplant in Alabama, UAB Hospital
First lung transplant in Alabama, UAB Hospital
- - First double-lung transplant performed in Alabama, UAB Hospital
- - 3,000th kidney transplant performed in Alabama
500th heart transplant performed in Alabama
- - First small bowel-liver transplant performed in Alabama, UAB Hospital
- - 500th liver transplant performed in Alabama
- - National Conditions of Participation enacted; required hospitals to refer all deaths and imminent deaths to the local Organ Procurement Organization (OPO)
Children’s of Alabama performs first transplant and opens Pediatric Transplant Program
- - Angelynn and Courtney’s Law implemented. The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency shall create and implement a program promoting organ donation through the application or renewal process of the driver’s licenses.
- - Alabama Organ Center performs first organ recovery in dedicated Donor Recovery Center
- - UAB Paid Living Donor Leave implemented for employees who volunteer as living organ donors or bone marrow donors.
- - State of Alabama approves paid leave benefits for living organ donors or bone marrow donors.
- 50th anniversary of the first kidney transplant performed in Alabama by Dr. Arnold G. Diethelm.